How to Prepare for Painting:
Preparation is key to a successful paint job. Before you begin, make sure your room’s interior surface is properly prepared.
- Remove draperies, pictures, and switch and outlet cover plates before painting.
- Arrange drop cloths to protect carpeting, furniture, and any areas not to be painted.
- Fill holes, imperfections, and cracks with caulk or spackle before painting.
- Use a damp cloth to remove any dirt or dust on walls and baseboards. For high-use areas you may need to use a mild detergent to remove contaminants such as grease or problem stains.
- Tape off woodwork and other areas not to be painted at the time.
- Be sure to prime any new or bare surfaces and problem areas. If you have chosen a color that is substantially lighter you may also need to prime.